Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

Local New Bedford, Ma. History
1970 - 1979
In Chronological Order
Follow the timeline through the years

1970's Frates Bottle - New Bedford, Ma - www.WhalingCity.net

Frates Bottle Restaurant was a favorite for an ice cream in the summer
1970
Placed on the National Historic Register:
The U.S. Customhouse is a National Historic Landmark in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
Architect Robert Mills built the custom house in 1834
 
1970
New Bedford military men who died in the Viet Nam War.
Pfc. Manuel A.D. Tavares, 21, of New Bedford, killed Jan. 9, 1970.
Seaman Wayne W. Mullin, 19, of New Bedford, killed Aug. 20, 1970.
 

1970 July
Race Riots broke out in the West End, a section of Kempton Street and a few blocks surrounded a neighborhood was barricaded with burned out over turned cars and refrigerators, barrels and lumber etc.. 
On July 9 three African American men got arrested on supposedly trumped up charges.

Warren Houtman, arrested for driving with a defective light, Charlie Perry a known street fighter and Jimmy Magnett for just being there.
Magnett had been outspoken in letters written to the Standard Times of New Bedford and at local meetings

On July 11, the three whites (one was Ralph Brown of Acushnet) got through the barrier blocking the streets and drove a 57 Chevy to the front of the "Club" on Kempton Street., the driver got out and laid a shotgun on the roof of the car and fired into the crowd killing Lester Lima and wounding several others.

It was said that the riots were over police brutality, unlawful arrests, the death of Lester Lima and the wounding of the others.

Several tenement buildings in that neighborhood were burned in acts of arson. There were sniper incidents and looting. Many clashes between youths, local and state police and firefighters resulted in quite a few injuries.

At the time, there was no organized Black Panther Party in New Bedford, but Frank (Parky) Grace an ex-Vietnam Vet had been organizing and introducing Black Panthers to the locals.

The riots continued, and Edward Brooke a Black Republican Senator set up a committee to negotiate with the mayor and police.

More Black Panthers came to town and set up a headquarters in the partially burned and looted Pieraccini's Variety store on Kempton Street.

An outside classroom taught teachings of Mao and handed out Black Panther literature.

Pieraccini's was turned into a fort with sandbags and caches of weapons and gun slots etc.

Soon afterward a white man told police that he had been shot in the ankle when driving by the "fort."

The raid was on.

A huge force of local police and support by state police helicopters overhead netted 21 people from Pieraccini's. A weapons cache was found under the floor.

The FBI questioned the prisoners and kept a file on them. They were charged with conspiracy to commit murder, anarchy and rioting.

The date for the trial stretched on until March and just before the trial the serious charges against those defendants were dropped.

The all white jury took 45 minutes to acquit the three whites of the charges of murder, and wounding the others with the shotgun.
This seemed to many city residents to be a shocking result for what was thought to be a clear case of murder.
It was widely thought throughout the city that a deal must have been made. Essentially everybody got off, and things quieted down.
The author lived through this time in the city and was almost killed in a close experience with it.

Related Article Itsabouttimebpp
Another excellent source to read about this Encyclopedia of Race Riots

 

1970
James H. Ottaway Jr. was succeeded by Gerald T. Tache, as the publisher of the Standard Times.
The Standard Times merged with Dow Jones & Co. Inc., and Ottaway Newspapers sold off the Standard-Times' non-newspaper holdings

 
1971
The Immigrants Assistance Center was founded, by members of the Portuguese community, to help to deal with various problems encountered by recent immigrants.

Manuel Costa Sr. became first Cape Verdean to run for city wide office in New Bedford.

Portuguese people were a large percentage of the community.
New Bedford had 281 persons with Portuguese last names on the public school system payroll.
Seven were principals and nine were assistant principals. Classes in Portuguese language were offered at the high school and three junior high schools.
 
1971
Placed on the National historic Register:
The Old Third District Courthouse in New Bedford Massachusetts is located at the corner of Second and William streets. It was built in 1853
 
1972
Sacred Heart School in New Bedford was closed and demolished angering many of the former and current students at that time as well as neighbors who had loved the school, and it's very sound structure.
 
1972
The YMCA built a new facility on South Water Street
 
1972
The new High School is opened to students at 230 Hathaway Boulevard.
It is built on the site of a former toxic waste dump. Many residents consider it to be very poor planning.
See the high school prior to 1972 on County Street and
the high school prior to 1909 on Summer Street
 
1973
PCBs were banned in 1973.
The EPA designated New Bedford Harbor, and parts of the Acushnet River and Buzzards Bay, as a Superfund site in 1983.
 
1973
Placed on the National Historic Register:
Fort Taber District or the "Fort at Clark's Point" is a historic American Civil War-era military fort in the former Fort Rodman Military Reservation in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
The fort is now part of Fort Taber Park a 47-acre town park located in the extreme south end of the city at Clark's Point. Visit the museum open from 1pm to 4 pm almost every day.

 
1974
The Route 195 Bridge crossing the Acushnet River is built just south of the Coggeshall Street Bridge.
 
1974
The primary Sewage Treatment plant is built, and the outfall is at the end of Clark's Point, the extreme south end of the city.
 

1975
On August 2, New Bedford hit the high mark with a record temperature of 107 degrees Fahrenheit.

 
1975
Placed on the National historic Register:

Sgt. William H. Carney House is a historic house at 128 Mill Street. The house was built in 1850 .

The New Bedford Fire Museum is located in the former Fire Station No. 4 at the corner of Sixth and Bedford streets

First Baptist Church is a historic church at 149 William Street in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
The church was built in 1829

There were13 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 
1975
New Bedford got control of the ship LV 114. It was brought to a dock in New Bedford and painted red with "NEW BEDFORD " in white block letters on its sides.
The city failed to maintain the ship and had to sell it for scrap.
This was another waste similar to the loss of the Charles W Morgan to Mystic Ct.
 
1975
Placed on the National Historic Register:
First Baptist Church is an historic church at 149 William Street in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
The church was built in 1829.
Also,
Sgt. William H. Carney House, a historic house at 128 Mill Street. The house was built in 1850.
 
1976
The presence of PCB's is found by researchers.

There were13 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.
 

1976 August 11
Placed on the National Historic Register:
County Street Historic District is a historic district roughly bounded by Acushnet Avenue, Page, Middle, and Bedford streets on both sides of that street.

 
1976
July 10 Tavares' "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" makes it onto Billboard's Top 40.
The New Bedford R&B / Disco group took it's name from the family name of the members. They are all the Tavares Brothers. The group was formerly known as Chubby and the Turnpikes.
 
1977 January 18,
In Downtown New Bedford, a massive gas explosion destroyed the Macomber Sylvia building.

It was to be sold by the historic group WHALE that day and was uninsured. Another building was destroyed.
The explosion also damaged the nearby Sundial building which was later refurbished..
 
1977
Added to the National Register of Historical Places:
Merrill's Wharf Historic District is a historic district on MacArthur Drive in New Bedford.
The district was built in 1837
 

1977
There were 6 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 
1978
The massive destruction of the Blizzard of 1978 began on February 5, 1978.
It was caused by the coming together of a dense mass of low pressure off of the Carolina's coast and a Canadian high-pressure system.
The storm had tracked north and turned into a massive counter clock wise flow called a nor’easter depositing the bulk of the snowfall from the morning of February 6 until the evening of February 7.

Top wind speeds were 86 miles per hour and gusts got up to 111mph. It was equivalent to a category 1 hurricane. The storm came during a new moon and produced significant flooding along the coast of New England where more than 1,700 homes suffered substantial damage or were destroyed, and 39,000 people took refuge in emergency shelters.

The federal government paid out $202,000,000.00 in disaster relief.
The 36 hour long blizzard produced 3 feet of snow with drifts as high as 15 feet.

At St. Luke's hospital in New Bedford many employees worked multiple shifts some sleeping there and working the next day.
There were emergency snow trucks and plow vehicles etc. on the roads that helped to ferry critical employees from home to work.

Rt 195 was shut down as traffic came to a stop.
Some people died on Rt 95 near Boston due to snow that piled up and prevented the exhaust from escaping from their idling vehicles.

At the beginning when traffic had come to a stand still in the city this author and his then wife made an evening trek on foot to the local package store on Dartmouth Street and Orchard St. to get a nice bottle of Reunite Lambrusco wine.
We both worked at the hospital and luckily we lived nearby. I played music in a band at the time. The storm put not only musicians out of work, but nearly everyone not able to get out of their houses to travel.

One gigantic problem was disposal of the snow. It couldn't be plowed aside everywhere as there was too much of it, so it had to be loaded into trucks and carried away in some areas.
In New England, approximately 100 people died as a result of the storm.

On this site, we have a video covering the event of the storm.
 

1978
The last of the whale oil ever sold in USA was sold in this year by the Nye Oil Co. in 1972 the Marine Mammals act prohibited it's manufacture. It became illegal for any American company to import raw material from marine mammals. Nye was permitted to deplete its current inventory.

1978 PCB's were banned for sale by the Environmental Protection Agency.

There were14 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

Saint Anthony High School closed in 1978.

 
1978 October 2,
Placed on the National Historic Register:
Union Street Railway Car Barn and Repair Shop is a historic building on 1959 Purchase Street
It is made of Brick and was built in 1897.
 

1979
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health banned all taking of shellfish from the New Bedford Harbor because of the presence of PCB's found in the shellfish.

There were 7 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

After a reign of 12 years, Gerald T. Tache, publisher of the Standard Times became the parent company Ottaway's vice-president, and moved to the corporate headquarters at Campbell Hall, N.Y.
Donald Clifford was hired as the next (eighth) publisher.

 

1979
Placed on the National Historic Register:
North Bedford Historic District is a historic district roughly bounded by Summer, Park, Pleasant and Kempton Streets

By the end of this decade, the city lost 122 blocks of houses and businesses due to the construction of Routes 195 and 18.

In this year WTEV Channel 6 on 430 County Street was sold and the call letters changed to WLNE by 1980 the studios had it moved to Rhode Island and the building no longer was a TV station.
Read more about WTEV.

 

Sea Shanties - www.WhalingCity.net
 
New BEdford Lightship - www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford Lightship 1975
 
 
 
 
www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com