Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

Local New Bedford, Ma. History
1880 - 1899 In Chronological Order

SCROLL DOWN

M C Swift ad from the "Shipping List" publication 1887 - New BEdford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net

1887 Advertisement from the "Shipping List" a New Bedford newspaper of the day
 
 

1880
February 2
The Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company was organized and their telephone service introduced to the city.

Pairpoint glass began doing business here, and the next year added another building to their plant.

 
1881
Grand Opera House - Charles W. Clifford, trustee of the Grace Church Society purchased a lot and building on Union Street on November 26, 1881. A committee was formed to remodel the church into a theater. A notable architect from Boston employed local artisans to do the job.
On March 28, 1882, the Union Square Theater Company gave the first entertainment performance.

 

1881through World War I
Between these dates, thirty-two cotton manufacturing companies, worth approximately $100,000,000 and employing about 30,000 people, were incorporated in New Bedford.

This was to be the salvation of the local economy as the downfall of whaling had a devastating impact.

 

1881
The establishment of the Swain Free school for post high school education came into being

 

1882
The Swain Free School
for general higher education started to offer courses .. The money was bequeathed by William W. Swain and the school was opened in his former home.

In 1902, it became the "Swain School of Design" an art school and gained national acclaim.

In 1988, New Bedford's Swain School merged with Southeastern Massachusetts University'.

It became part of the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

 
1882
The Acushnet Mills Corp. was organized and a mill built the following year. The Grinnell manufacturing and Oneko woolen mills were incorporated.
 
1883
New Bedford building ordinance restricted tenements to 3 floors.
 

1884
St Luke's Hospital began operations as a private foundation in 1884, on the Taber Estate at 81 Fourth St. (now called Purchase Street), between Madison and Russell. It had 11 beds and admitted 62 patients in its first year.

They were also connected with a training School for nurses and graduated a class every year.
It later moved to a larger facility on 101 Page Street.

Now it is part of the Southcoast Hospitals Group

New Bedford Manufacturing Company was organized, and the mill built that year.
In March, the New Bedford Board of Trade was organized.

 
1885
The city made extensive street and sewer improvements. Importantly improvements were made to North street west of Cedar.

A special appropriation was made for the improvement of Point Road (Now known as Rodney French Blvd.)

The Salvation Army is Established in New Bedford
 
1885
New Bedford owned 86 whaling vessels of the 135 in the entire country.
Thirty years earlier in 1855 it had 311.
A census in this year listed 15,413 males and 17,980 females. The total census was 33,393
 
1886
A large addition to the library was built, and it occupied the upper floor while the mayor's office and other public offices occupied the first floor. (See 1910)
 

1886
The Edison Illuminating Company located a plant here and began supplying light and power in July of 1886.
Electricity came to New Bedford as wires are strung. New Bedford was an early proponent of electricity as it's production and methods of distribution had been invented only 7 years prior by Edison and improved by others.
.

 
1886
The second Train Station was built and can be seen in this 1905 photograph with historical text to accompany it.
 
1886
The first Sacred Heart school and convent was built and opened the following year. (See 1876)
 
1887
The Sacred Heart parish bought land on Mt. Pleasant Street for the first Sacred Heart Cemetery.
 
1887'
The New Bedford - Fairhaven railway line is consolidated with the Acushnet Street Railway Company. This becomes the Union Street Railway Company.

The city purchased land and erected the City Stables.

The Oak Grove Cemetery was enlarged.

The orphan's home was on the Corner of French Ave. and Cove St.
It was organized in 1842 and in 1887 it had 30 inmates of both sexes.
 
1888
The Hathaway manufacturing Company was organized in December, and the mill erected in 1889.
In April 1888, City Manufacturing Company organized and a mill began in December.
The Howland Mills were established in this year.

The New Bedford Clearing House was established on September 1, 1888
 
1888
On Aug. 3, Five whaling ships were lost off Point Barrow, Alaska, resulting loss of $60,000 to the New Bedford Industry.

The Second Industrial Fair was held in New Bedford at the Adelphi Rink on the corner of County and Mill Streets.
New Bedford and many other cities displayed their products.
Textiles were the more prevalent of the products on display.

The new jail on Ash Street running from Court to Union Street was built as an addition to the old one built in 1828. The new section cost $80,000.00 and had 287 cells. Long term prisoners made shoes in the prison's factory. Lizzie Borden was arrested on August 11, 1892 and jailed there. See the Local Links page for more info on the Jail.
 
1889
The YMCA moved to 147 William Street, and offered a wide range of social, educational and fitness programs.. 
 
1889
The water service is brought to the home on the site of 690 Cottage Street, currently owned by Normand and Marcelle Chartier.
 
In 1889 The electric company was operating 8 steam powered electric dynamos capable of generating 375 to 435 horsepower

1889
Bennett Manufacturing began erecting a mill, and the second followed soon afterwards.
Nov. 15 Acushnet Co-operative Bank was organized.
 
1889 The sturdy brick structure that was Sacred Heart School on Robeson Street replaced the school and convent that had been built only 3 years prior and only opened 2 years prior.
 
1890
The Gas company bought out the Edison Electric company and controlled both electrical and gas utilities for the city. Therefore, there was born the New Bedford Gas and Edison Light Company.
 
Denny Shay's Barroom - New BEdford, Ma 'ate  1800's - www.WhalingCity.net
click the picture for a larger image
Denny Shay's Barroom was on the Corner of Elm and Acushnet Avenue.
Note the horse attended to by israel Sher.
Bartenders are John Bohan and Fred Ling Facing are
Joe Barbosa and the dapper Denny Shay
with his dog a dalmatian resting comfortably on the floor.
 

 

Sea Shanties - www.WhalingCity.net
1887 ad from Whalemen's Shipping List - New BEdford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net
click for larger image
Don't be a Douderfunk - ad from Whalemen's Shipping List - New BEdford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net
click for larger
doscks www.WhalingCity.netCutting Whale
New Bedford Docks
www.menujoy.com
Hetty (Henrietta) Green - www.WhalingCity.net
Hetty (Henrietta) Green
The richest woman in the world at one time.
Nov. 21, 1834 – July 3, 1916
Sacred Heart School - New Bedord - www.WhalingCity.net
Sacred Heart School
as it looked in the 1960's
It was built in 1889 on Robeson St.
between Summer and Cottage
Oil Barrels and Whaling Ships - www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford Docks
Whaling Ships and
Casks of whale oil .

 


www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com