The school was opened in 1909 on County Street facing straight down William Street on land that once was occupied by the estate of Charles W. Morgan, of whaling fame, and previously the same location was the where the farm house was of the founder of New Bedford, Joseph Russell.
It later had an addition in 1935 when the school had an enrollment of 2,684 pupils.
See the page for the school building prior to 1909
This school closed in 1972, and the students began attending the new school at 230 Hathaway Blvd that was built on a toxic waste dump.
As of 2010 the building in the picture below on County Street serves as the New Bedford School Department Offices building.
Click the photograph to see a larger version of the same.