Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

Local New Bedford, Ma. History
1980 to 1989
In Chronological Order
Follow the timeline through the years

Dig Dan's Defendants

Fall River Trial of Big Dan's Defendants
1980
Placed on the National Historic Register:
Built in 1849 Palmer Island Light Station is a historic lighthouse in New Bedford Harbor.
Also,
Central New Bedford Historic District is a 29-acre (12 hectare) rectangular area bounded by Acushnet Avenue and the older New Bedford Historic District on the east, School Street to the south, Middle Street on the north and 6th Street in the west. It encompasses 79 buildings, including New Bedford's city hall.
 
1980
The Cape Verdean News began publication in 1980:

There were 6 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.
 

1981
The Greater New Bedford Community Health Center on 874 Purchase St. opened its doors in 1981.
It was designed to expand access to health care services for low-income people.

There were 7 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 
1982
Added to the National Historic Register:
The Dawson Building at 1851 Purchase Street in New Bedford was constructed in 1896
 

1982
New Bedford harbor placed on national priorities list of sites for cleanup under the Superfund legislation.

.There were 5 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 
1983
On March 6 the infamous "Big Dan's Bar" rape occurred where Cheryl Araujo was gang raped by several Portuguese immigrant men on a pool table while the patrons watched and did not interfere, despite her screams for help.
Six men were tried. Daniel Silva 26, Joseph Vieira 26, Victor Raposo 23, and John Cordeiro 23 were charged with aggravated rape, while Virgilio Medeiros 23 and Jose Medeiros 22 and were charged as accessories.
By the start of the trial on February 23, 1984 the two, Jose Medeiros and Virgilio Medeiros were also charged with aggravated rape. The two Medeiros' were later acquitted.

In the end, 4 of the men were sentenced to nine to 12 years in prison.
It made international news and was made mention of for quite a long time in the media.
A movie called "The Accused" starring Jodie Foster is based on this incident.

Cheryl became an activist for woman's and victims rights.
In New Bedford, she had become ostracized and so moved to Florida with her daughters and the father of her daughters who had been her high school sweetheart.
She died in an auto accident where she hit a telephone pole while taking her two daughters to a Christmas show in 1986.
 
1983
Added to the National Historic Register:
Times and Olympia Buildings constructed in 1897 are historic sites at 908 - 912 Purchase street and
880 - 898 Purchase Street in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

Shawmut Diner is a historic diner at 943 Shawmut Avenue in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
The diner was built in 1953.
In 1983, the Paleologos family bought and updated the diner. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003 and has been featured on the Food Channel. (See page for 1953)

 

1983
There were11 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

Nelson Macedo was given the job of Mayor from January 1983 until March of 1983.

He was the City Council President during the time that Mayor John Markey became Justice at 3rd District Court. After Mr Macedo's tenure a Special Election was held in March of 1983 and Brian Lawler defeated John Bullard.

Mr. Macedo had been a the City Council President until he became the Mayor.
The author of this website knew about this though Mr. Macedo is not listed in the official list of Mayors for the city.

Cynthia Kruger is listed as 1982 to 1983 and after Nelson Macedo came Brian J Lawler from 1983 to 1985.  Yes, it is confusing to some people.

 

1984
New Bedford ranked #1 in the country based on the value of the fish landed.

There were 7 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

Holy Family High School closed in 1984.

 
1984
Added to the National Historic Register:
Bradford Smith Building is a historic building at 1927-1941 Purchase Street in New Bedford, Massachusetts. The building was built in 1887
 

1985
C F Wing store on Purchase Street closed after many years.

There were 9 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 
1985
Added to the National Historic Register
On Steamship Wharf in New Bedford, The Effie M. Morrissey, now renamed the Ernestina, was a schooner skippered by Robert Bartlett that made many scientific expeditions to the Arctic, sponsored by American museums, the Explorers Club and the National Geographic Society.
 

1986
There were14 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 

1987
St. Luke's acquired Parkwood Hospital.

Industrial Pre-treatment of waste is required before discharge into sewers.

Sometime after 1975, the City of New Bedford acquired the Butler Flats lighthouse from the Coast Guard because they were going to tear it down.
On June 15, 1987, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

There were 9 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

Orren B. Robbins became the 9th editor of the Standard Times.
The previous editor Donald Clifford was promoted to a corporate vice-presidency on Jan. 1.

 
1988
There were10 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

Telephone numbers changed to 508 for New Bedford from 617
 
1988 - 1989
The murder of nine women, and the disappearance of two women who were either prostitutes or involved with drugs, went unsolved.
Their bodies had been dumped at different times along the highways, Rt 195 and Rt 140 in and near New Bedford.
There were two suspects, but one eventually committed suicide and the other had the charges dropped for lack of evidence.
Wikipedia has a good article on the subject of the New Bedford Highway murders
 

1989
Added to the National Historic Register:
Thomas Donaghy School on 68 South Street is a historic school built in 1905.
Also,
Acushnet Heights Historic District roughly bounded by Summer, Weld, Purchase, Pope, County, and Robeson Street.

There were 6 fatal car crashes in the city for this year.

 

 

Sea Shanties - www.WhalingCity.net
 
 
 
 
 
 
www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com