Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

New Bedford, Ma. History

From 1930 to 1939
In Chronological Order - Follow the timeline through the years

1924 - Purchase Street - new Bedford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net

1934 - Purchase Street - New Bedford

1930s
By this time on Parker Street the agricultural land previously owned by the Howard Brothers covering area
west of Oak Grove Cemetery up to Rockdale Avenue and north of Parker street had become the city's
largest dump.

The full history of the environmental disaster there is yet to be written.

 

1931
Basil Brewer began managing the Evening Standard and the Morning Mercury in 1931.

Both papers were in competition with the city’s third newspaper, "The New Bedford Times".

In 1932, The papers merged. This was the beginning of the Standard-Times.

In 1933 Basil Brewer became the principal owner of the paper.

Finally, the Morning Mercury stopped it's publication in 1942.

 
1933
Busses replace the trolley service to Fall River.
 

1934
A New England wide textile workers strike that was the largest strike in US history took 400,000 worker
off the job for 22 days.

The strike was not just New England but in southern and Mid-Atlantic states, as well.

 
1934
The Wharfinger building now used as the New Bedford Waterfront Visitor Center, was built by the WPA of
bricks from a demolished mill building.

For many years, it was used as the morning fish and scallop auction house.
 
1934
The Standard Times is established as the city's main newspaper with the merger of the "Daily Evening

Standard" and the "New Bedford Times".
 
1935
Planning begins for a New Bedford Airport
 

1938
A Plan B form of municipal government was adopted by the city of New Bedford.

This changed the power of the mayoral office, i.e., the mayor now had more power to make appointments.

It also established a single legislative body, with eleven councilors.

 

1938 Sept. 21,
A massive hurricane, slammed into the Southern New England coast with wind gusts up to 183 mph and a destructive 12-16 foot storm surge.

The damage in today 's money would be over 4 billion.

Unfortunately in the total area affected, 600 people died in the hurricane.

 
1939
In New Bedford, the Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA) was created from the Textile Workers
Organizing Committee (TWOC-CIO) and the United Textile Workers of America (UTWA).
 
1939
Aerovox moved into a building along the upper reaches of the Acushnet river and manufactured capacitors with PCB's until 1978..

The result was pollution of the factory property, river, land and sewer lines.
The Morning Mercury - new BEdford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net
The Morning Mercury first published in 1807 - ceased publication 1942
1938 hurricane barge on land near Coggeshall Street - www.WhalingCity.net
Huge barge washed ashore in the 1938 Hurricane - Near Coggeshall Street.
It landed 6 inches from a fire hydrant.

 

Sea Shanties - www.WhalingCity.net
 
 
 
 
 
 
www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com