Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

Local New Bedford, Ma. History

1940 - 1949 In Chronological Order
Follow the timeline through the years

Scroll Down

1947 Balantine ALe - New BEdford - www.WhalingCity.net
1940
Sullivan's Ledge on Hathaway Road was starting to be filled up with industrial waste.
 
1940
The WPA (Works Progress Administration) was called upon to build the airport.

The New Bedford Regional Airport was constructed between 1940 and 1942 as a commercial airport but during that time a hanger, barracks, service buildings and the runways were built by the War Department for the Army bombing squadron that was stationed there.

Later the US Navy it took over.
It was used by US Army Air Corps until the end of WW2 when it converted back to civilian use.
It has been expanded and improved since then to be what it is today. See more info.
 
1941
There were 11 theatres in New Bedford in 1941.
They were the Strand, Royal, Olympia, State, Casino, Empire, Orpheum, Rialto, Capitol, Baylies Square and New Bedford Theatre. See Old Places
 

Nov. 8, 1941
Lacking financial support from the city of New Bedford, the city's last whale ship the "Charles W. Morgan" left for her new home at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.
The Morgan was the only American wooden sailing whale ship to have survived from the whaling era."

 
1941
Palmer's Island Lighthouse was automated; Martin Maloney was last keeper of the lighthouse.

1941
The US Army had 2 groups stationed at Fort Taber / Fort Rodman.
The 23rd Coastal Artillery Regiment and the 23rd Coastal Artillery Battalion, both for harbor defense.
 
1941
The Cornell Dubilier moved into a building on the East side of Clarks Point. The company made capacitors with PCB's. During WW2, the company had a contract with the government and many young people had a part time jobs there after school.

Marcelle Chartier remembers doing her part for the war effort by testing capacitors.
 
1942
In January, the city of New Bedford experienced a record low of -24 degrees Fahrenheit.

The newspaper the Weekly Mercury which later became a daily paper, was established in August 1807 and finally closed in 1942.
 

1942
New Bedford airport .
(See 1940) During World War 2.
It is currently operated by the Municipal Airport Commission as appointed by the mayor.

 
1942
Fort Taber's, Battery Barton was declared surplus and had its guns removed and scrapped in 1943.
 

1943
A large Portuguese population was able to support a Portuguese language newspaper in New Bedford for many years. In 1919, the Alvorada Diária was founded, and that paper evolved over the years to become Diário de Notícias.
Joao R. Rocha was the publisher and owner in 1943.

It was a success and had a circulation as high as 10,000 that covered the local region as well as areas across the country where there were Portuguese speaking people.

 
1944
The Navy took over the airport
 
1944
September 14 - 15 The Great Atlantic Hurricane hit New Bedford with a storm surge of 6.8 feet.
 
1945 July 28,
A military plane flying from New Bedford to New York City crashed into the Empire State building. the crash resulted in 14 dead. The accident was caused by heavy fog.

The plane was a B-25 Mitchell bomber, with two pilots and one passenger aboard, and it was flying to La Guardia Airport. After changing course over the city, It swerved to avoid the Chrysler building, but that turn flew it straight into the north side of the Empire State Building, near the 79th floor.
 
1946
Your Theater is founded
 
1946
New Bedford Vocational School has a name change to New Bedford Vocational High School.
 

1947
In May of that year, the trolley system is totally abandoned in favor of busses.

New Bedford celebrates the Centennial of it's birth as a city.

The FCC allocated one television channel for both New Bedford and Fall River and it could not be a metropolitan channel but a community channel (whatever that means)

On Jan, 20, the FCC listed one FM radio station for New Bedford "WFMR" 97.3 E. Anthony & Sons.
 
1947
Clifford Ashley a new Bedford native, born in 1881, died in this year.
He was a world renown illustrator and painter and author of several books, notably "The Ashley Book of Knots”.

His book is a standard for people all over the world as it has an incredible amount of detail for almost every knot imaginable.
 
1948
June 11,
The New Bedford, Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamship Authority was established to ensure more reliable transportation to the islands and back..
 
1948
Arlans Department store founded in 1948 by Lester Palestine was the first discount department store and opened in New Bedford on Dean Street. The store became a nationwide chain with 119 stores.
In later years, it moved it's local location to Hathaway Road near Shawmut Avenue in a retail plaza.
In the end in 1974 Arlans owed 91 million dollars.
 
1949
"Down To The Sea in Ships" is the second film by that title to be made in New Bedford (see 1922 )

Though it has a decidely different story line, it has some realistic scenes.

Richard Widmark and Lionel Barrymore were getting a lot of attention in this city when they were here making the film.
Lisbon Sausage COmpany 1942 - Now Known as the Premiere Linguica and Choucice and Portuguese Sausage COmpany in the world. - www.WhalingCity.net
The original building for Lisbon Sausage Company in New Bedford
Now known as Amaral's Linguica
 

 

Sea Shanties - www.WhalingCity.net
 
 
 
 
 
 
www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com