Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

Local New Bedford, Ma. History
1920 - 1929

In Chronological Order
Follow the timeline through the years

1920 Purchase Street - New Bedford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net
Purchase Street - New Bedford - 1920
1920
At the peak of the business boom there were 28 cotton producing business with a total of 70 cotton mills. 41,380 people were employed in textiles in New Bedford, and the population was much higher than today.

In that year, there were 121,217 residents in New Bedford.
 
1920
New Bedford mills produced a lot of cotton goods.

New Bedford in 1920 was the third largest consumer of cotton in the United States.
 

1920
November 29 Capital Theater opened with 1,000 seats at 1418 Acushnet Avenue.

It was built as part of a block long structure on the site of the former Timothy Coffin Estate.

In "the old days", it featured two continuous movies and five Looney Tunes cartoons as well as evening shows.

Admission was 12 cents on Saturday, and 25 cents on Sunday candy bars were a nickel and popcorn was 10 cents. Kids loved it..

Films were shown into the 60's and by the seventies several rock concerts were performed there. It closed for good in the early 1980's

 
1921
Morris Glaser started Glaser Glass in New Bedford in 1921. He had previously worked in the trade with his brother. The company still operates in New Bedford.
 
1921
Although the date is disputed the first on-air broadcast for WNBH was in November of 1921.

The name WNBH came from its location later in 1925 where it's studios were located in the New Bedford Hotel
 
1922
The Empire Theater was built on 118 Elm Street, at the site of a horse stable that burned down in 1914.

It was a large theater with a capacity of 1,845. In its early years it presented live entertainment such as dancing, comedy, music, etc.

In 1932, the Zeitz family bought it, and it became a movie theater. It had a good run with top box office movies all through the years.

My Fair lady was the last movie shown in 1964.

In 1965 after a hiatus, a live performance called "Those wonderful Days of Burlesque" was the last show in the theater.

In 1956, a group of 5 teens were arrested while waiting for Elvis' "Jailhouse Rock" to play.
They were making a lot of noise, shouting and hollering.
They got six months probation, and were told by the judge to "Go Straight."

November 6, 1922
Normand Chartier is born - his parents are Ovide Chartier and Stella Roussseau.
 

1922
In this year, New Bedford was one of three cities in the US without a reported death from typhoid fever.
It was attributed to the good water supply and the use of typhoid vaccine.

 
1922 June 24,
New Bedford got its first commercial radio station. WDAU, owners Slocum & Kilburn
 

1922
"Down To The Sea In Ships" a silent film, was made in New Bedford. Marguerite Courtot and Raymond McKee, as actors along with the famed Clara Bow making her film debut.

Parts of the film were made during a real whaling expedition, and there was an actual location shooting in the film. It is not similar to "Down To The Sea In Ships" that had the same title, and was made in 1949.

 
1923
Radio Station WMAF at Round Hill and owned by Colonel Green signed on at 363 m/ 830 kHz.
In June, WMAF became is part of a chain that rebroadcasted the programming of WEAF for four hours a day.

It is reported that the broadcasts from WMAF caused some radio interference for other stations.
 
1923
The State Theater originally called the Zeiterion for the first few months of it's existence, opened on April 2 of that year with 1,208 seats.

It had a small Wurlitzer 2 manual theatre pipe organ.

The first performance was on April 2, 1923 with a stage show starring George Jessel,
titled "Troubles of 1923."

"Moby Dick", with Gregory Peck, had its world premiere in 1956.

It has been renamed Zeiterion Theatre, after the Zeitz family that previously owned it, and at one time owned several theaters in New Bedford.

It now presents live entertainment of many kinds -- theatre, opera, ballet, comedy, and music. It is also the home of the New Bedford Festival Theater with Armand Marchand as Executive Director and George Charbonneau as Artistic Director.

Here's the web site for the New Bedford Festival Theater

The web site for the Zeiterion Theater is http://www.zeiterion.org/
 

June 30, 1924
The ferryboat Sankaty caught fire and drifted across the harbor.
It came to a stop alongside the whale ship Charles W. Morgan, which barely escaped being destroyed. The Sankaty was a total loss.

1924 December 24, Carol Haney ,the famous dancer, was born here and died in 1964.

She had roles in "The Pajama Game", "Invitation to The Dance", and "Kiss me Kate".

 
1924 August
A category 2/3 - large hurricane center moved over and just east of Cape Cod. It was severe in New Bedford and Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts. The New Bedford Newspaper (Mercury) published a photo journal of the severity. Very heavy tree damage in New Bedford north to Plymouth Massachusetts.
 
1924
New Bedford's economy was booming with the cotton mills etc. and the population was at the peak of 130,000. By 1955, it had dropped to 105,000
 

1925
A total eclipse of the sun happened on January 24th

The final whaling voyage from New Bedford was made by the schooner "John R. Manta".

Marcelle Audette was born on April 22, 1925 and married Normand Chartier on June 5th 1948

Robert F. Kennedy was born in 1925 and later assassinated in 1968

 
1925
In this year, Abraham Landau was born in Poland, but after World War 2, he emigrated to New Bedford where he spent many years as a tailor.

During World War 2, he had suffered considerably in concentration camps having lost 95 members of his family.
Abe Landau - Holocaust Memorial at Buttonwood Park
 

1925
Busses begin to be used in public transportation in New Bedford.

The New Bedford textile industry peaked with 35 mills in operation.

 
1926
There were no murders in New Bedford, in the year 1926.
 
1926
August 6, Normand Wexler was born in New Bedford. He went on to become a screenwriter of fame for such works as Serpico, etc.
 
1927
Lizzie Borden died of pneumonia on June 12 of this year. On August 4 1892, her parents were murdered in Fall River, and she was initially blamed and tried in New Bedford.

She was acquitted. She is widely considered having committed the murders.
 
1927
There was a reorganization in the public schools system and the new concept was to create two middle schools or Jr. high schools.

Two schools were built, and opened in February, 1927, one on Tarkiln Hill Rd and the other off of Brock Avenue they were initially known as North End and South End Jr. High Schools.

Afterward the school in the north end was named Normandin Jr. High School and the one in the south end was named Roosevelt Jr. High School.

Both schools were built of brick, and each had three stories, some 40 rooms, one hall and two gymnasiums. Each school had a maximum capacity of 1200 students.
 

1928
In excess of 20,000 factory workers went on a strike for six months because of the 10% wage cuts by the mill owners.

After 6 months of striking New Bedford's Textile Council settled with a 5% pay cut and the remaining workers went back to work.

It was the largest labor strike in New England during the 20's.
There was a terrible cost in lost wages through the cold winter. The strike brought a lot of violence and many arrests.

This was to be the downfall of the New Bedford Textile Industry, and a lot of factories moved their production down south to take advantage of cheaper wages and a closer proximity to the cotton.

1928
Amaral's Linguica Company (Lisbon Sausage Company Inc.) was started and still produces products till this day. It is still at 433 South 2nd street. Amarals.com

 
1928 WNBH radio had live performances by local talent. This video is created with original soundtrack and photos from Michael Eadie's copy of the "Chansons de Terroir" sing-along book from the Happy Home Furniture Company's Sunday Radio Hour on WNBH.
See the video with Conrad Gauthier and his troupe singing -" Maluron Malurette". At one time, the French - Canadian culture was more dominant in New Bedford than in the later part of the 20th century.
 
1929
The stock market crash was a disaster for New Bedford and much of the world.

In 1929, The Monsanto Corporation invented Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB's) and they were used extensively in manufacturing along the Acushnet river.

A monumental environmental disaster affected both the river and several landfill sites in New Bedford at a terrible cost in sickness attributed to the chemicals.

There was also a huge problem and cost of removing the poisons in the ground and river where their waste had been dumped.

The waste is recently found to be still a problem under the new High School and Keith Middle School on Hathaway Blvd., the site of a former dump.
1920 County Street - New Bedford, Ma. - www.WhalingCity.net

1920 - County Street - New Bedford

 

Sea Shanties - www.WhalingCity.net
Colonel Green - www.WhalingCity.net
Colonel Green
Son of Hetty Green
 
St. Luke's Hospital New Bedford 1924 - www.WhalingCity.net
St. Luke's Hospital 1924
1929 New Bedford Union Street Railway Token - www.WhalingCity.net
Click to enlarge token
www.menujoy.com -
www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com