Lighthouse - www.WhalingCity.net www.WhalingCity.net
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Sperm Whale -  WWW.WhalingCity.Net -  © Roger Chartier
Home Page
Pictures and History
Places and Their History
Theaters and Entertainment
People Pics and Biographies
Whaling Images and History
City Parks
New Bedford Maps
New Bedford Videos
New Bedford Books, Etc.
Festivals and Fairs
Function Halls - Restaurants
Local Links
Things to do
New Bedford City Directories
Lewis temple Toggle Iron - www.WhalingCity.net
Chronological History
Local History - 1600's to 1699
Local History 1700 - 1749
Local History 1750 - 1777
Local Revolutionary War 1778
Local History 1779 - 1799
Local History 1800 - 1819
Local History 1820 - 1829
Local History 1830 - 1839
Local History 1840 - 1849
Local History 1850 - 1858
Local History 1859 Fires!
Local History 1860 - 1869
Local History 1870 - 1879
Local History 1880 - 1889
Local History 1890 - 1899
Local History 1900's
Local History 1900 - 1909
Local History 1910 - 1919
Local History 1920 - 1929
Local History 1930 - 1939
Local History 1940 - 1949
Local History 1950 - 1959
Local History 1960 - 1969
Local History 1970 - 1979
Local History 1980 - 1989
Local History 1990 - 1999
Local History 2000 - 2009
Local History 2010
Local History 2011
Contact webmaster
Free 2014 Monthly Calendar
Free 2015 Monthly Calendar
This site - work in progress.

If you have any public domain photographs of historical interest to donate, whether scanned or printed please contact the webmaster and your submission will be credited if it is displayed on this site.

By Roger Chartier

 

First New Bedford Post Office
William Tobey Postmaster 1792

Originally this was a painting created in 1807 by William A. Wall.

This scene depicts a 1792 view looking north on Purchase from Union Street.

The house on the left, was the home the home of William Tobey, the first post-master appointed in 1792 Part of his home served as the first Post Office.

The next house on the left was the home of the town bell ringer named Job Allen.

The First Congregational Church is on the left where William and Purchase Street would be.

It is on the same plot area of land area that the Merchants Bank was located later on in the 20th century.

On the right side of the street after the corner of Union and Purchase St. (house) was the small house of Daniel Taber and next was Oliver Crocker's home.

Afterwards see the first school called the "Tom" Kempton schoolhouse (set back a bit). This view is more apparent in the second image (painted in 1820).

In the far distance on the right is the large mansion of John Avery Parker who was the first president of the bank in its earlier location. His home was later reconstructed into a hotel called the Parker House.

Click to enlarge Image below

1807 Purchase Street New Bedford - looking  north - www.WhalingCity.net

Below is an 1820 painting of the same location with the addition of a house on the right corner belonging to Barnabas Russell. He was the son of Abraham and Sarah Russell.
Click the image to see more detail

1774 scene - Union and Purchase Streets - New BEdford - www.whalingCity.net
 
 
 

 


www.sailorsongs.com www.ourwholeworld.com www.Taxman123.com www.RC123.com
www.rogerchartier.com www.moneytopaythebills.com www.gwrramachapterf.org/ www.menujoy.com